.

Wednesday 28 December 2011

And Back to Frankenmuth We Go!


What can I say? Just as much as I adore Franco-Italian cuisine, I remain an avid fan of German food. A short post, I did want to comment briefly on our post-Christmas Day visit to Birch Run and the Bavarian Inn Restaurant.


We brought a close family friend to Frankenmuth with us as it was her first time to visit and see the Christmas lights they have set up. Before getting to the restaurant so she could try the fried chicken they're famous for, we made a stop of the nearby Prime Outlets of Birch Run, just half an hour away from Flint. Among the stores we visited, my sister and I first went to Le Gourmet Chef where she purchased two types of dip at a special deal (cheaper than as one would get on-line, and buy 2, get 1 free): artichoke spinach and chocolate s'mores-- both made by Robert Rothschild Farm.


After Le Gourmet Chef, we went over to Calendar Club + Go! Toys & Games where I found (and subsequently purchased) BibleOpoly and the cooking edition of Scrabble, also at a special deal (50% off everything in the store).


To start out dinner, I ordered a blackberry lemonade (free refills at the Bavarian Inn Restaurant) which I preferred the strawberry lemonade that accidentally made it to the table the second time around.


As shown in the opening photo above, I ordered the German Sampler starter plate. Along with the baked pretzel bites and Hofbräu cheese and artichoke dip shown above, the sampler also included Kartoffelkäseknödel (potato cheese puffs) and Kohl und Schinken Knödel (fried ham and cabbage dumplings). Wonderfully rich and warm, this "starter" may as well have been called my entrée.


I should also note I tried some chicken cordon bleu and actually needed the crisp freshness from the Asian salad others at the table had ordered. And with all this eaten, I still had some food to take home for another chilly day. For these photos, along with other recent ones, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment