.

Friday 10 June 2011

My Second "Triple D" Visit: Joe's Gizzard City

Joe's Gizzard City on Urbanspoon

Eish, it has been quite a while since I've last posted, eh? To be fair, it is summer break... That said, I have continued to eat (no surprise there) and cook (no surprise here?). And in this recent interim, I am undergoing leadership training for this summer's France program. My mouth continues to water as I read about my soon-to-be encounters with French culture, language, and of course cuisine! But before I leave the country, I better get writing and play some continue catch-up. This particular post focuses on the next addition to my list (of one) of visits to locations featured on the Food Network's "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives," hosted by Guy Fieri: Joe's Gizzard City in Potterville, MI.


For those who are unfamiliar with the term, a gizzard (in contrast to the table's theoretical opinion of it being what's actually known as the wattle or even the gobble) is essentially a chicken's "second stomach" which helps in its digestion process. (Click here for more of a simplified, visual explanation.) Similar to turkeys, chickens do not have teeth and thus need the aid of small stones stored in the gizzard. Typically, as was the case at Joe's, gizzards are served deep fried; and in true food anthro fashion, I added gizzards to the list of foods I never thought I would ever try. In actuality, gizzards are very similar in texture to calamari, another food member on the aforementioned list.


As for my entrée, the obvious choice was the Triple "D" Burger which was made specifically for Joe's by Guy. If you feared clicking the aforementioned link, perhaps you may fear (or salivate) the following description: "An awesome 1/3 lb cheeseburger with pickles, onions and a slice of tomato deep fried in Joe’s famous batter mix." Can you say "nom nom nom"?


However... following my instinct that close health care professionals would probably fear for my life if they knew I even attempted to eat this burger, I went for the "barely healthier" option and, skipping out on the Potterville Poutine and bacon cheeseburger pictured above...


...I chose a bacon mushroom Swiss quesadilla. Burger, bacon, mushroom, and cheese grilled to a beautiful crisp, the quesadilla was just as "light" as it was filling (and strangely reminded me of freshly fried egg rolls). Perhaps the only thing missing from this entire meal, if such a thing could be claimed, was the fried cookie dough or fried Oreos for dessert! For additional photos from Joe's, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment